The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Today I went for my follow-up with the opthamologist. I told him that since seeing him, I had been diagnosed with MS. He made a notation of it, but he didn't seem too concerned. He said that it had not affected by optic nerve, which is good news. I have to go back in 4 months for a field vision test. I wonder how long I will have to keep going back? The last time it was 6 months between visit; this time 4 months. Thankfully my visits are medical, rather than optical, so my insurance will cover it. (I don't have vision insurance). Though, he considers me pre-glaucoma (I have borderline eye pressure) and now with MS, he wants to keep things in check.

I am really thankful to be where I am right now, in terms of where I am living and the hospital I go to. On all of my bills, there is a statement that says, "____ Hospital has a financial assistance program to assist patients who qualify." Well, I applied for some help with my bills, as I had a $1000 deductible, plus a few other costs above that. I am sure I will incur more charges on my follow up tests, too. The hospital completely cleared me of my bills--they wrote them off, and consider me to be paid in full. On one hand, I feel kind of bad. On the other hand, I submitted our financial records and we did qualify, so I suppose it is to help people like us. We are a young couple--I am a full time grad student and work part time--and my husband works at a popular bakery restaurant while looking for something in the field in which he has a degree. So, surprise--we really don't have a lot of money. Plus, Chicago is pretty dang expensive. I consider the help a blessing, and really, I don't think I should feel ashamed, should I?

Thanks for the advice on the injection-site reactions. I have tried ice and rubbing, which doesn't seem to help. They aren't painful, thankfully, just not pretty. I guess no miniskirts or mid-riff tops for me! (This is even funnier if you really know me!)

I am kind of impressed with the sense of "community" I have found through this journal. The words of encouragement from people I know, but perhaps moreso from the people I have never met is surprising and welcomed. So, thank you.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Jaime said…

    I am glad to hear that you were able to get some help. A $1000 deductible can be overwhelming. I would not be ashamed as this is what those programs are for. None of us asked to get sick and we all do the best we can to try and make things work. Everyone needs a little help sometimes! :) I am glad you were able to get it when you needed it.

    I hope you can find a solution to the marks from the injection. Do you tend to have extra sensitive skin? I wonder if your doc can prescribe something/or recommend something to help? Not sure if there is such a thing, but just a thought.

    There is a great network of people out here...we may not have the exact same experience, but we do knwo what each other are going through. It is important we stick together so that one day (hopefully sooner than later) we can win the fight!

    I hope things continue to go well for you. Please take care.

    Jaime

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Iain Dughlais said…

    you're welcome, and thanks for you sharing your story too. I remember when I decided to share mine. It was a difinitive moment. Takes a lot of guts to put out personal details of an illness and feeling surrounding that. Good on ya!

    I too get these annoying red marks. Being an actor, I used to pray for roles in which I get to go topless, now I get kind of antsy about it. Thank god for make-up, lets say. But still, a bit vain? Probably. But worth the cost. I'll take a few red blotches for some disease altering track marks anyday, huh?

    Oh, and there's nothing wrong with free money! Take it!!!

    Cheers
    -D

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    Like it or not, we are all in this together. Strange bed-fellows, eh?

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger Jenni said…

    MD247 telemedicine program members have unlimited telephone access to a nationwide medical support team, all with just a single phone call to the MD247 telemedicine Talk to a Doctor/Talk to a Nurse Hotline.
    Medical Help

     

Post a Comment

<< Home