The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Friday morning, a nurse with the MS Lifelines program will be coming to my apartment to teach me how to do my injections for the medicine. On that day, I will give myself my first injection.

Honestly, I am a bit nervous about poking myself with needles three times a week. I am kind of a wuss. But I am sure it will get easier with time. Plus, since injections are the only options for slowing down progression, I will do what I have to do. Also, there are side effects that people often experience for the first few months. The main side effect is "flu like symptoms" including a low-grade fever, chills, aches, etc. Am I the only person to whom this doesn't sound like fun? Hopefully with the tylenol regimine (I will take 6 total on the days of the injections), the side effects will be kept to a minimum. Another common side effect is injection site irritation--redness, swelling, tenderness. Once again, doesn't sound like fun. Less frequently people experience depression/anxiety. As you may know, I am already on medication for that. So, hopefully that helps, and hopefully I don't have to raise my dosage.

Oh well. It is just a blessing to be able to get this medicine. I am thankful that the drug company has programs for people with crappy insurance, or people who don't have oodles of money.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Jaime said…

    Fortunately, there are programs available to help out with the medications! All of the MS meds are very expensive (anywhere from $1300-1500/mo) so the average person could not afford them.

    Just so that you are aware (in the event anything happens in the future and you need some kind of rx help/finacial help) the different foundations (NMSS & MSAA) have assistance available. You just need to check with your local chapter. They also provide a lot of other great information (I have links up on my blog).

    I hope you are doing well and that the injections are getting easier for you! Take care.

    Jaime

     

Post a Comment

<< Home