The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Yesterday, I got sick. I'll spare you the details (though if you are really curious, visit the link in my sidebar to "my other blog". Let's just say, I am going to carry bags in the car from now on, in case I suddenly get nauseous. My mom reminded me of my last bout with throwing up back in March. It was right in the middle of my first major flare up--I was dizzy and got sick several times within a few hours. Later came the stiffness and serious lack of balance, that has sense passed. Could there be a link between these two episodes and my MS? Or is it just a fluke? It's interesting that now, if anything happens, people automatically ask if it could be my MS. On one hand, it makes sense. MS symptoms span a great deal of things. On the other hand, it's possible that I will still be sick sometimes, completely unrelated to MS. Who knows?

I was thinking yesterday how thankful I am to have insurance. I am glad I am a student that is required to have insurance, because it is quite possible that I would not have been insured during this time--you know, to save money. I am thankful that when I was diagnosed that I had insurance. Granted, I have a $1000 deductible, easily met with an MRI. Yet, the "negotiated rates" that insurance companies and doctors office agree upon are a life saver. I have saved so much money on that, alone. It makes me not be able to imagine what it's like for people without insurance, who have to pay the high face-value sticker price of treatments and medical services.

One thing MS has done to me is it is made me increasingly wary of the whole healthcare system. On one hand, I have been very blessed by some forms of assistance to help get my meds and help with medical bills. However, it's weird to me that healthcare is an industry--it's a capitalistic venture. Prices are negotiated. Doctors tend to prescribe medicines from a drug company who gives them incentives and gifts. Drug companies are trying to come out with new medicines, not because they help people who need them, but because there is money in it. That was a startling reality my MS nurse shared with me--the first company to find a pill that works for MS will jump on it--if only for the money alone. I know that's life, but part of me thinks it's a sick reality too. When for some people things are matters of life and death, mobility or immobility, being free or being confined--why is money the factor? Ugh. I am so jaded by capitalism.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger Iain Dughlais said…

    yeah you nailed it. Even in a country where we have a great health care system (Canada) drug companies are still a problem like that. Luckily enough, I found a great doctor who is more interested in my health than drug companies. I always have an option and nothing is pushed on me. And of course I've never paid more than $5 for a perscription in my life and my MS drugs (Rebif) are free, thanks to the government who picked up the tab for me.

    About getting sick with MS. Be careful there, getting sick can complicate your MS and cause a flare up or worse. Last year I got a cold. It turned into me almost dying. I was rushed to the hospital after I was found lying on my bathroom floor. My temp was like 104 and I was completely dehydrated from fever and vomiting. Worst I ever felt in my life and I know my MS had effected it. Just a cold. Almost killed me. Make sure you rehydrate yourself if you get sick--since it seems hard to avoid, I guess we have to get sick sometimes. :)

    Sorry for the completely depressing post. :)

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    Ah, yes ... the free tilt-a-whirl that you get from MS. Makes driving soooo much more interesting.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jaime said…

    Isn't it amazing how we are told that we have so much more (when it comes to health care) and that other countries health care systems are insufficient? The more I meet people online with MS and the more I go through this whole process (of SSDI, etc.) I find that although there are some countries that are worse off....we are not all the great either! There is a reason more research is coming out of Europe and Canada. Maybe their health care is not perfect (I don't know...not there) but I find it interesting that the people I have met in those countries get what they need for their MS where we have to fight for it and go without. That doesn't seem like better health care to me. Priorities have gotten mixed up and people have gotten greedy. It is a business now and unfortunately not everyone in that business is in it for the right reasons...to really help those who need it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home