The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I have a site counter that lets me see who is visiting my blog and how they got here. Recently, I noticed that a rather large number of people who are investors in Elan have made their way over to my blog, and it is largely due to someone who refered them to one of my posts.

I understand that we invest in those things in which we believe. But I also feel a bit deceived. For someone to link my blog to a bunch of Elan investors makes me feel as if my interest is not what you had in mind; it seems as if your pay out was your motivating factor. Regardless of how encouraging and hopeful you are, your words seem a bit less-than-meaningful. It's called conflict of interest. It's kind of like when a doctor prescribes the medicine in which the drug rep gives the best incentives. This is particularly annoying in that I asked some questions that would have let you disclose this particular aspect of your interest, and yet you didn't.

I welcome everyone to read this site. But if your only comments are going to be advertisements for a certain drug in which you have financial interest in, then I would ask you to refrain from those comments. Medical care is more than statistical data. There are other things to consider than the two-year track record. There are emotional costs of considering a new treatment. There are social costs of time lost for infusions and the fear and concern that faces you and friends and family. It's not about statistics. And it's not about money.

End "rant."

1 Comments:

  • At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FYI: While I have asked that msladyinca remove the link to your site, I would like to let you know that it is your responsibility to disallow outside links. Once you have published to the web, it is out there for everyone to see and link to. If you do not wish any site or a specific site to link to you, your web server should be configured to do so. If you do not know how to do so, your service provider should be able to either instruct you, or configure it for you.

    I will also point out that one of the key reasons you are able to get Tysabri today is the fact that msladyinca gave some rather moving testimony to the FDA Advisory Committee to bring Tysabri back to the market.

    I hope that no investors in Elan have made any negative, or inappropriate, postings to your site. We're a rather curious bunch, trying to find anything we can, both positive and negative, about the uptake and results from the use of Tysabri. I am sure that all Elan investors wish you the best results possible, no matter what therapy you may be taking.

    P.S. I suspect the post linking to your site won't be deleted until morning. If I am not mistaken, msladyinca will have gone to bed before seeing your posting or my message to her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home