The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Monday, January 08, 2007

MS is still very new to me. I mean, April will mark one year, but it takes time to see the course of this crazy disease. Heck, I don't know if even long-time MS'ers can know what to expect. Physically, I feel fine. But I am having some weird issues and have a call into my neuro about them.

The big thing is that for three days, I have double vision in the morning. It clears up about 30 minutes to an hour of being awake. But when I look in the mirror, I have four eyes! Once the double vision goes away, my eyes have a bit harder time coming into focus during the day, but I am typically able to see just fine. My skin is also really sensitive. I don't like to be touched. It doesn't hurt like some MS'ers experience. It's just uncomfortable and uber sensitive. My spasticity is acting up, too. My legs jump more frequently and with a bit greater force. Again, it's not excruciating pain, but it has moved from annoying to slightly more uncomfortable. I have these pricks on my side, stomach, legs, and groin area. They often are accompanied by my leg jumping. This happens when I am sitting down or laying down. Something else I have noticed is my left foot drags sometimes, especially when I walk a distance (which I do nearly every day). I have to be very conscious to lift it so that it doesn't catch on the asphalt. Today, I nearly fell. I just feel gimpy, overall.

So I talked to the MS nurse and she assured me that it was okay for me to call. I don't want them to think I am paranoid or just bugging them to death. But since this is new and since MS has a wide range of symptoms, I want to know is this MS or something else? A lot of what I am experiencing could be MS, and the doctor may want to see me. Hopefully the nurse calls me tomorrow to tell me one way or another.

Aside form these annoyances, I feel physically good. I am going to start working out as I am terribly out of shape. I notice this as I am too easily winded when walking several blocks. I like to sleep (like until 10 am on weekends and struggle to get up around 8:45 during the week!). Not sure if I really am needing the rest or if I am just lazy.

Just wanted to update all of you. As I have said before, if you are interested, there is a link in the side bar to my "normal" blog. I try to update it more regularly and it's not just health-related. I try to keep all of the MS stuff on here.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    You ARE NOT lazy. I know you are falling back on self deprecating humility, but think of all those out there who have great health to squander and do nothing. No, you are vibrant by comparison and should be proud that you are as strong spiritually and mentally as any one else out there.

    As for your symptoms ... this too shall pass.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Frances Shaw said…

    Hi there, I found your journal because I was searching for the term "double vision in the morning" which I experienced for 2 weeks last november, exactly how you described. The docs couldn't find anything wrong with me and my MRI came back clear. Then 2 months ago I got optic neuritis but again my brain MRI was clear. Thus I am still undiagnosed but MS has now been mentioned as a possibility so am seeing the double vision episode in a different light. But I am not sure what's going on as I have never found anything about the double vision in the morning thing except in your journal!

    Anyway just wanted to say thanks for putting your story out there and I hope things are going well for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home