The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

So, as I've posted yesterday that I have had hypersensitivity and vision issues. The nurse just called me back, and the doctor wants to do IV steroids.

I have only had these once--in April 2006. At that time, I welcomed them. I could barely walk; I'd hobble along, holding onto walls. My balance was also terrible. Compared to that, this seems so minor. I think it's just a different manifestation of MS--perhaps lesions on a different part of the brain. I questioned this, and the nurse said that when she wrote everything out (she read it to me) this is what he suggested.

He also ordered a brain MRI. I asked about a spinal cord MRI, but she said he just wanted one of the brain. He wants to see if Rebif is working for me, as he is considering this the second episode within less than a year (I have been on Rebif since May). If there are new lesions, they mentioned the big T-word--Tysabri. That seems far off and a huge decision to boot.

It's weird how things unfold so quickly. I just wanted to call and let them know things so they could put them in my chart. I didn't expect steroids, an MRI, and discussion of the possibility of Tysabri.

Today is a real reality check. But maybe I am living in denial. I feel overall "good" minus these physical annoyances. All of this medical stuff seems a bit dramatic to me. I'm MS-lite--remember?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Hi Heather
    Good luck with the steroids, if you have to take them.
    Not the nicest thing in the world to do, but they do help.
    For what it's worth, I had optic neuritis a while ago, and took some homeopathic drops that cleared it up.
    Nice blog!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    Crud. Sorry to hear you got nailed like that. Hopefully, this will be one of the rare times you need steroids.

    Sure, you have ms and it's part of you now ... just don't let it become the center of your life.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Indiana Adams said…

    i love you. i am thinking about you. miss you like crazy, kid.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home