The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Friday, August 07, 2009

The good news is I didn't wake up feeling like I was having a heart attack this morning. Seriously--it's a rather unsettling feeling, regardless of the cause.

The bad news is that I woke up hurting all over. I was so tense--in my neck, shoulders, head, joints. Who knows what *that's* all about, or if it's related to anything at all. I also had some bizarro dream which was altogether disturbing. So, I woke up around 7:30.

7:30 is not that bad. One time, when I was on IV steroids, I woke up at around 4:30. That's just wrong. 7:30 isn't my ideal, but I can manage. And who knows--maybe I will actually get something done, today. (yeah right!)

I do not feel my hand getting any less numb...yet. My eye pain may have gotten a little worse, since it got better. It's not as bad as it was, initially, but there still is discomfort. I still have 17 days of steroid pills to take, so I am sure some of this could get better with that.

On a whiny note, can I just say how much it sucks to fall asleep on the couch, ready to go up to bed, only to realize that you still have to give yourself a shot? I mean, when I am half asleep, the last thing I want to do is jab myself with a needle. Oh, and today, I have a big, round, puffy mark on my leg from the shot. It's not red. It doesn't itch; it isn't sore. It's just a round mark about 2 inches in diameter. Cuteness.

I largely am writing here to document this stuff for me. That way, when my doctor says--how long has this been lasting, when did this go away, when did this start, etc., I have answers. Therefore, I understand it's not terribly interesting to anyone else, and I am okay with that.

I do look back to when I was working full time from January until May. Thinking to that time, I wonder how screwed I would be if that were now. Then it scares me--will my physical ups and downs affect my ability to have a career? I've worked too damn hard to have it all fizzle before I start. I guess, thankfully, being a professor (while a very demanding career physically and mentally) allows for some freedom in schedule, methods, etc. Depending on how I am feeling, in the future, I can adjust my teaching methodologies to adapt. Yes, that's it. I'll just keep hoping. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home