The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

So, this week was a bit better physically. I wasn't as completely drained and exhausted as last week, which is good. Emotionally, it was a bit trying, but that was mostly non-MS related.

As I think about it, part of it is related to MS, I suppose. B and I want to start a family. We have had to plan, in advance, due to the various MS medicines I have been on. By the time it is time to start trying, something else comes up putting plans on hold. It does make us wonder how the next time will work--going off of medicine, waiting for my body to be med free, then trying. We'll see. So, the emotionally difficult part was that my friend had her baby this week. I rejoice with them. Seriously, I am so, so happy for them. But my heart hurts, too. Both Brad and I feel a tinge of sadness.

Something strange happened on Wednesday, proving I am a doofus. I took my steroid pills (it was a four-steroid-pill day) before going out to dinner with B. When I was going to bed, around 10:45, I realized that the pills on my nightstand were not my steroids; they were my Baclofen (for muscle spasms). At that point, I had already taken my pills for the night, including the Baclofen as prescribed. However, apparently I had also taken 4 Baclofen around 3:30. Since it had been almost 8 hours, I figured I was fine--I wasn't going to die. My key concern was a sudden spike in dosage and then a sudden drop the next day, as you tend to slowly increase/decrease dosages. I called the nurse and let her know what happened, and she said, "You weren't wobbly? A noodle?" Um, no. I mean, I may have been a bit unsteady after dinner but I thought that was from sitting a long time, dim lights, and a really good lemon drop martini. It was nothing that raised a red flag.

Thankfully, it wasn't as scary as it could have been. Had I taken 4 Ativan (an anti-anxiety medication) at once, that could have been bad, particularly with alcohol. I feel like the grandma that people worry about, confusing her medicines, etc. It was a mistake though--an honest mistake--that I won't make again!

This is my last week of steroid pills, thankfully. I am tired of being hot, even when my arms and legs are freezing, I feel like I am on fire. I wake up all wet with sweat, and I am not a person who sweats much if at all! I haven't been sleeping quite as much, but that's because of the semi-insomnia steroids can cause. Thankfully, that has been kept to a minimum this round. As a result of the steroids, I may be slightly less numb in my hands. My eyes don't hurt as much as they did in the beginning, but they are not as pain-free as they were mid-course of IV steroids. Some other things--it's too early to tell.

Can I say, though, that I am sad I didn't get to skip my period this time? I know that's TMI, but often, I missed my period altogether when on steroids. It's probably better this way, as I only have on every three months as it is. But still...I was hoping. Dealing with a flare, steroids, and a little should-be-monthly visitor isn't my idea of a good time.


Post a Comment

<< Home