The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Friday, August 11, 2006

It's been a while since I have updated. Sorry, to those who might care.

I had my 3-month neuro check up. I'm doing much better since I saw him the first time, considering I was then mid-flare up. He did the blood work to check my liver, and in terms of MS, told me not to think about it. He said, "Take the Rebif, and don't think about it." Um...if I am poking myself 3 times a week, I tend to think about it.

He then prescribed me something for migraines--Butalbital. Upon reading about it, I discover it is a barbituate with sedative properties. It can be addictive. It can do a number on your liver (just what I need with Rebif) and can possibly affect the efficacy of birth control.

From what I hear, this is a rather old medicine, and there are newer ones on the market. Upon prescribing it, he said something about we would try this one, and how it is safer. But I didn't know about all of the other things at the time.

I left a message with his nurse this morning, and she never returned my phone call. Nice.

I'm just really frustrated.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    I use Maxalt for my Migraines ... it is a friggen wonder drug for me. Its common name is known as rizatriptan benzoate commonly and I use the 10mg tabs. A bit pricy, but no liver damage potential and it is not a barbituate (i.e. Non-Addictive). Well, it can be addictive I suppose if you are adverse to UNRELENTING PAIN.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Jaime said…

    I have also heard good things about rizatriptan, however I have never used it. I take Topamax which helps not only for Migranes but also for the other nerve pains that I get associated with my MS. The only time I seem to get headaches now is with the extreme heat or with a flair. I wish you the best. Take care and good luck! I am glad that you are doing better. :)

    Jaime

     

Post a Comment

<< Home