The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Monday, November 06, 2006

There are days I can hardly bring myself to give myself my Rebif shot. Seriously, anymore it seems like such a chore. At first, I kind of looked forward to it, simply because it felt like I was taking control. It was the only thing I could do. Now, it just seems tiresome. And I am tired of all the red blotches on my tummy and legs. Lately, they have been itchy, too, which is new for me.

I have been having lots of headaches lately. They make me just need to lay down and shut my eyes. Last week, one made me barf. My doctor gave me Imitrex. I wasn't sure if that was good, since I am also on Effexor. My psychiatrist said to be cautious. My neuro said he felt comfortable with it. I know the risks, but frankly, I am so desperate sometimes for something to make the pain stop. In telling me the symptoms of Serotonin Syndrome, my psych told me that change in body temperature and muscle stiffness were signs. I told him that muscle stiffness is common with MS. He agreed, stressing that i need to be ever-more-cautious.

The numbness in my arm is mostly gone now, thankfully. I am still having some balance issues. Ultimately, I am tired. Now, I am not sluggish and tired during the day, but I do sleep A LOT at night. Today, I slept until 11:15. Last week, I slept past 10 on most days. Is it fatigue? Am I just lazy? I don't know. But I am using the philosophy that if I am able to sleep that long, then my body must need it. *shrug*

Well, I am off to bed. I can't sleep late tomorrow, because I have to work in the mornin'. Fun times.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sorry that things don't seem to be going real well. I remember how I dreaded having to take a shot every week. I hope your doctor can figure out something to help relieve you. I have never taken Imitrex but have heard good things about it. I take Topamax for my nerve pain and migraines. For the most part it works, but from time to time I still get headaches and nerve pain. It seems to me that there are just times when the meds don't work as well as we would like.

    As far as being tired is concerned, fatigue is a very real and common symptom with MS. I would not think that you are being lazy at all, but that maybe your body just can't keep up the way it used to. Your doctor may be able to give you something to help out. I have noticed that for me I seems to always have some fatigue and my sleeping patterns have also varied....sometimes I need a lot of sleep and other times I am wide awake (even at 2 am like tonight, lol) Nothing is perfect I supposed. Also, you mentioned being on Effexor and depression is also a common symptom of MS which only leads to further fatigue. Whatever the case may be for you I hope you get to feeling better real soon!

    Take care of yourself.
    Jaime

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those shots ... those headaches ... the numbness ... at least you are making some progress. Hey, and treat yourself to that late morning one of these days ... sit in bed, read a book and nap. Life is hard but it should not be that hard. Recharge your batteries and come out fighting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home