The BS of my MS

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 11, 2006. It was a fairly quick diagnosis and there are days/weeks I can mostly ignore it. For those days I can't, this blog documents my journey.

Friday, November 10, 2006

I spent the night in the ER. I was puking and had other stomach issues that shall remain nameless. I also had a fever of almost 102. I was reluctant to go, but the doctor on call suggested it, in fear of dehydration. They gave me 3 bags of IV saline and some medicine to stop vomiting. Unfortunately, the other stomach issues just have to run their course. My white count was high, which means my body is trying to ward off something. The ER doctor asked me if I was feeling any better and if I wanted to be admitted. However, I just didn't think that was necessary. In retrospect, it would be nice to have someone jus take care of me. But hospitals are expensive and that bed could have gone to someone else.

I went to the doctor today for a suggested follow up appointment. I called my advisor to take me, which she gladly did. I felt so bad asking her though as I hate being needy. But I didn't have any cash on me to hop on the train. (We need to keep a 5 in the cabinet for emergency cash situations) The appointment was pointless. Basically, he told me that I just need to stay hydrated and reincorporate mild, solid foods. I haven't eaten anything since lunch yesterday. I have been drinking gatorade, and I have to sip it slowly. But I am SO thirsty--I just want to guzzle it. But I know my stomach probably wouldn't like that.

Being a grown up sucks. When you are a child, your mom takes care of you and babies you when you are sick. She throws out the bag of barf. She would wait with you at the hospital. As an adult--it's all up to you. Brad is at work, so I have been on my own today. I bagged up the barf, putting it on the back porch in a giant bag. I don't think I can talk Brad into taking it out to the dumpster. Brad came back home to sleep while I was at the ER, so he could make it to work today. Though, honestly, that was probably better. I am not sure there was an extra chair in my room, and no TV either. I thought I would be there for two or three hours, rather than six. Still, even though I am a 27-year-old adult, I miss the days of mom.

So, now I am home, and just having to wait for it all to pass. Which I am thankful I am okay, but I hate just having to wait in that icky "trying to get better" phase.

Yes. I am a whiner.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that this isn't conventional, but when my kids get sick there is no gatorade or water for them, its just a sip of good ol' coke-a-cola. Try it its great.
    Jane

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Heather, I was diagnosed at the end of June 2006. While I am sure we are very different people, we have a very similar story when it comes to MS. Are you sure the headaches and stomach issues are not from the Rebif? I had to finally give it up because it made me so sick. I have been on Avonex now for just over a month and it is better, not great, but better. The research I have done shows it to be just as effective or non effective as Rebif. I think whichever company spends more money marketing their product often is portrayed as "the best" when it's not always the case. If I get worse or develop neutralizing antibodies, I will try to qualify for Tysabri. Sheesh, you would think this is my blog! I just wanted to thank you for writing and let you know that there are options and you are not whining. You are helping!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heather,
    I am SO sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you get better real soon. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Take care of yourself.
    Jaime

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Jane, Coke, eh? I'll have to try it next time. I did the Sprite thing and finally had a diet pepsi, because I need caffeine! How did you find my blog?

    Jane and Courtney-- Do you have a blog? How did you find mine? I am always curious where my readers come from.

    Courtney--this time I think was a stomach bug, since my white cell count was high and I had a temp. But I may ask my neuro if my sickness/headaches could be Rebif-related.

    Jamie--thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate your kind thoughts sent my way.

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Still, even though I am a 27-year-old adult, I miss the days of mom."


    Yeah, me too. Of course, my Mom has MS too so it's tough to want to foist that on her now, knowing what I do know now. Childhood was a wonderful time, wasn't it?

    Get better soon.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heather, I found your blog at http://www.mdmhvonpa.blogspot.com/ which I found by googling MS Blogs. I just started my own blog - reversems.blogspot.com. I am new to this and would love your input. I just noticed that I used an almost identical template as yours, but I can't find anything I like better! Hope you are feeling better, Courtney

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, we all miss Mom when we feel puny, but when she's not there it's okay to be needy.

    One of the hardest lessons is learning to ask for help. You have MS and your loved ones ask what they can do to help. The answer is nothing -- not an aspirin, not a pat on the head, the doctors don't even know, so the answer is nothing.

    If you need a ride, you need a ride. The fact that you can call someone is great. Your job is to stay strong. People feel good when they help others, so sometimes the fact that you need a ride is a kindness to the person who can give a ride. (I would say it gets easier to ask, but I don't think it does.)

    Relax. I hope your stomach thing departs soon and you can enjoy your day.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The reactions to the drugs seems to be as individual as the people taking them.

    They might all be disease modifiers but some show different means (statistical means) of immuno suppression.

    If Rebif doesn't work (it seem to be working for me but it leave me with all the immune system of an AIDS sufferer,) then try something else, Copaxone, Tsibari or another treatment, by all means.

    You have to find the right treatment, balance and dosage for you.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    ***PING***

    You ok?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home